--> Sayadasite: Past Tense

Multiple Ads

Search

Menu Bar

Past Tense

The past tense refers to an event or an action that has happened in the past.

Past Simple

I did

Past Continuous
I was doing

Past Perfect
I had done

Past Perfect Continuous
I had been doing

What is Simple Past Tense?

The form of a verb used to describe an action that happened before the present time and is no longer happening

Simple Past Tense 

Subject + V2 + Object 

Examples:

Rita went to school.

Minty ate food.

Lisa went to the supermarket yesterday.

Sam cooked a tasty dinner yesterday.

My brother saw a movie yesterday.

Last year, I travelled to France.

washed the dishes.

My mother bought a dress for me.

What is Past Continuous Tense Rules?

Past continuous tense refers to/denotes those actions/events that were happening for a particular time in the past

Past Continuous Tense Rules

Subject + was + V1 + ing + Object (Singular)

Subject + were + V1 + ing + Object (Plural)

Examples:
I was eating pudding.

Sia was writing a letter to the editor.

It was snowing yesterday.

They were eating at the restaurant.

You were working yesterday.

I was studying last night.

I was waiting for the cab when I met Raj.

The children were shouting when the teacher came in.

Everyone was clapping.

The child was eating an apple.

Trina was going to the library.

The dog was barking at night.

The students were not studying for the test.

They were going to play football.

What is Past Perfect tense?

The form of a verb that is used to show that an action had already finished when another action happened.”

Past Perfect tense

Subject + had + V3 + Object 

Examples:
He had taken the token.
I had brushed my teeth.

She had met him back in college.

The plane had left by the time I got to the airport.

had written the email before he apologized.

You had promised not to be late.

I had met Carlos back in college.

She had lived in California before moving to Texas.

 

 

What is past perfect continuous tense?

The past perfect continuous tense is generally used in a sentence to depict an action that started at some time in the past and continued until a specific time in the past.

Past perfect continuous tense

Subject + had been + V1 + ing + Object 

Examples:
He had been standing in the rain the whole night.
I had been eating diet food for the whole summer.

We had been playing video games for 5 hours

 She had been cooking for 2 years

 He had been watching movie since morning

 John had been losing weight before he met with an accident

 I had been reading books for 5 months 

Girls had been singing a song sins 3 o'clock

 He had been helping your parents for 5 years

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: