--> Sayadasite: Homographs

Multiple Ads

Search

Menu Bar

Homographs

Words that have the same spelling but have different meanings and sometimes different pronunciations as well.

Homograph

Meaning

Sentence Example

Can

A container

Salvia stored dry flowers in a can.

Being able to do something

I am sure I can do it.

Date

A day in a month or a year

Do you remember the date and year of our graduation?

A sweet fruit

I have two dates everyday in the morning on an empty stomach.

Band

A group of musicians

The band played at the inaugural ceremony of the award function.

A strip of material tied around something

Bibin tied a friendship band for his brother.

Saw

A tool used to cut wood or metal

My father needed a saw to cut the wood into multiple pieces.

To look at something around you

My cousin told me that he saw a Porsche today.

Ruler

Someone who rules a kingdom

Who is the first Mughal ruler?

A long, narrow piece of wood, steel or plastic that is flat and used to measure things or draw straight lines

The maths teacher taught the students how to use a ruler to measure and draw lines.

Rose

A flower

My mom gave me a bunch of orange roses for my birthday.

To come up

His friend rose to the occasion and helped them out.

Bark

The outer portion of a tree

I used the bark of the pine tree to make some interior decor for our house.

A loud noise made by the dog

Nobody knew why the dog kept barking even after the owner gave him food.

Fall

A season of the year, otherwise known as autumn

The colours brown and yellow represent the fall season.

To go down

She was about to fall down.

Ship

A large or big boat that is used to carry passengers or goods

My children were so excited to witness two ships crossing at the same time.

To send something by ship or some kind of transport

The dealers informed me that the orders that have been placed already will be shipped within a day or two.

Park

A large area of land that is mostly used for children to play or for people to walk

There is a children’s park in our area.

To leave or stage the vehicle somewhere for a period of time

My cousin has become an expert now. She parks the car without any sort of confusion.

Spring

A season of the year

Spring is my favourite season.

To jump or move suddenly or quickly

Tim will spring up in excitement when he hears of your victory.

File

A case to keep some documents together and safely

Do you have a file to carry all your original certificates?

To keep something in a particular place

You have to file it if you want it to be safe.

Wave

Water that moves across the surface of the water

My son was excited to see the waves.

To move your hands from side to side

My pet dog waved his hand the moment he saw my mom.

Well

A large, deep hole in the ground that carries water which can be used for domestic purposes

There is a very deep well in our old house.

Something that is done in a good way

Do you know him well?

To be in a good state

I am well.

Trip

A leisure journey

When are you going on that Bangalore trip you have been planning for months?

An action of nearly falling as a result of your foot catching on something

He tripped and fell.

Tie

A long piece of cloth with a knot in front that is used to wear around the neck

Mia’s father does not like to wear a tie.

To fasten something or someone with a rope or a string

My brother helped me tie my shoelace.

Drink

Some liquid that quenches your thirst

Would you like to have a drink?

To have something liquid that quenches your thirst

What would you like to drink?

Orange

A fruit

My nephew likes oranges.

A colour

We were asked to wear an orange dress for the party.

Point

A specific/particular idea, thought or opinion that someone is expressing

What is the point you are trying to make?

The most important piece of information or what is being said/discussed

The whole point of this meeting was to discuss the future business prospects.

To show or draw attention to something by using your finger or some object like a stick

Will you be able to point out what exactly  the problem here is?

Fly

An insect

A fly was continuously passing in front of my eyes.

The action of moving through air

Did you know that peacocks can fly?

Palm

The inner part of your hand

I know her like the palm of my hand.

A tall, straight tree

There is a farm full of palm trees on the way to my home.

Drop

A very small amount of liquid

I added a drop of honey to my lemon tea.

To fall or let something fall down

She said that she dropped the glass bowl by mistake.

Letter

A written or printed document for formal and informal purposes

Jancy wrote a letter to her mom.

Another word to refer to an alphabet or a symbol

She writes the letter ‘S’ beautifully.

Left

The left side or direction

Her father has severe pain in his left knee.

To move or go away from someone or something permanently or for a short period of time

We left the hall around 12 p.m.

To move to the left side

She jumped to the left instead of jumping to the right side.

 

Homographs Exercises

Fill in the gaps with correct homographs by choosing the most suitable option from the homographs given below. (bark, book, left, match, sink, bank, rig, band, well, watch)

The boy ____ the match in between due to the injury.

What is the time on your ____?

The ____ of the mango tree is very hard.

Tina has performed ____ in the exam.

My brother gave me a diamond ___.

There was a ____ between KKR and RCB.

Can you please ____ the tickets for me?

SBI is the largest ____ in India.

Please keep the dishes in the ____.

The Beatles were the most popular ____ of our times.

Answers 

The boy left the match in between due to the injury.

What is the time on your watch?

The bark of the mango tree is very hard.

Tina has performed well in the exam.

My brother gave me a diamond ring.

There was a match between KKR and RCB.

Can you please book the tickets for me?

SBI is the largest bank in India.

Please keep the dishes in the sink.

The Beatles were the most popular band of our times.

 

No comments: