--> Sayadasite: Homonyms

Multiple Ads

Search

Menu Bar

Homonyms

Homonyms are those words that have the same spelling or pronunciation but completely different meanings and functions. Homonyms, therefore, can be said to include both homophones and homographs.

Homonyms with the Same Spelling and/or Pronunciation 

 

Homonym

Part of Speech

Meaning

Sentence Example

Bear

Noun

A large, wild animal

They saw a black bear.

Verb

Being able to accept and deal with something

You will have to bear the pain.

Right

Adjective

Correct or true

You are right.

Noun

The right side

Meena sat on the right.

Adverb

Correctly or exactly

Everything that you told us was right.

Tear

Noun

A drop that comes from your eye when you cry

She had tears in her eyes at the end of the movie.

Verb

To pull something apart in pieces and damage it

The little girl will tear up everything she gets.

Match

Noun

A game

Do you know which team won the match?

Noun

A small stick used to start a fire

I used a match to light up the stove.

Verb

To find something that is suitable

My mom was looking for a lining material that matches the pastel-coloured saree she bought recently.

Ring

Noun

A jewel that you wear on your finger

My father bought me a diamond ring

Noun

A round object

I used a ring to make a dreamcatcher.

Verb

To call someone

Manu will ring you in some time.

Verb

To cause something to sound like a bell

Did you hear the bell ring?

Kind

Noun

A group of people with similar characteristics

We are one of a kind.

Adjective

Being good, generous, helpful

Beena is very kind.

Lie

Noun

Something untrue

I think she is telling a lie.

Verb

To quote something untrue

My mom does not lie.

Verb

To rest

He is lying on the bed.

Bright

Adjective

Strong, full of light

The sun is very bright today.

Adjective

Intelligent, clever, learning quickly

Aarathi is a bright student.

Address

Noun

The name and number of a building, the location of a building

Sherly gave her address so that we would not lose our way.

Verb

To write or speak to someone

Today, Susan will be addressing the first-year students.

Watch

Noun

A device to check the time of the day

I bought a new watch.

Verb

To see or look at something

Can you please watch the baby for an hour?

Homonyms with Different Spellings but the Same Pronunciation

Homonym

Part of Speech

Meaning

Sentence Example

Steal /

Steel

Verb

To take something from someone without their permission

You have to be careful while travelling, otherwise, someone will steal your belongings.

Noun

A metal made from iron

We have a door made of steel.

I / Eye

Pronoun

A pronoun used to refer to the self

I am a content writer.

Noun

An organ that is used to see or look at what is around you

My eye is paining too badly.

Root / Route

Noun

A part of the plant that is normally underground

I think this tree’s roots have gone too deep into the ground.

Noun

A way through which one travels

I know this route really well.

Blue / Blew

Adjective

A colour

She has a pretty blue frock.

Verb

To produce an airflow

Santhosh blew air into the balloons.

Pair / Pear

Noun / Verb

Two similar things kept, taken or used together

I bought a new pair of shoes.

The teacher paired me with my best friend.

Noun

An edible fruit

Do you like pears?

Threw / Through

Verb

To project an object to move rapidly through air

The little boy threw the ball over the wall.

Preposition

From one side of the opening to another

We will be going through the newly-built tunnel.

Weight / Wait

Noun

The quantity or mass of an object

What is the weight of that cupboard?

Verb

To delay an action until another occurrence

Can you please wait till we arrive?

Idol / Idle

Noun

An image or a representation of someone or something that is revered

My father is my idol.

Adjective

Not particularly occupied or engaged in anything

Danny has been sitting idle from the time he woke up.

Paws / Pause

Noun

The soft foot of an animal

My dog puts his paws on my lap every time I am sad as if to console me.

Verb

To stop for some time

We have been practising for so long. Can we pause for a while?

Choose / Chews

Verb

To make a choice or pick something

What would you choose?

Verb

To grind or crush food with your teeth

My sister chews her food well because she cannot simply swallow her food.


No comments: